My child was just diagnosed with a disability, where can I find information?

Published 05/09/2008 08:06 AM   |    Updated 05/21/2009 02:13 PM
My child was just diagnosed with a disability, where can I find information?

If your child is under three years old, call the First Steps program office at 800-441-7837 for more information or to find out where to apply or go to

Indiana's First Steps is a family-centered, coordinated system that provides early intervention services to children ages birth to three years old who are experiencing developmental delays, have a diagnosed condition that has a high probability of resulting in a developmental delay or are at risk of having substantial developmental delay if early intervention services are not provided.

A general resource for families of children of all ages is About Special Kids (Ask), formerly IPIN. Ask is a not-for-profit organization where parents, professionals and volunteers work together to support children with special needs. Contact them at 800-964-4746 or go to

NICHCY is a national information and referral center that provides information on disabilities and disability-related issues. They focus on children and youth with disabilities (birth to age 22). They have fact sheets on specific disabilities, information on special education and other helpful publications. Their information specialists are available to speak with you about your area of interest or concern. Call them at 800-695-0285, e-mail mailto:nichcy@aed.orgor go to their Web site at

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.