How do I report animal abuse or neglect?

Published 05/07/2008 09:29 AM   |    Updated 05/20/2009 06:18 PM
How do I report animal abuse or neglect?

Regulation of the treatment of animals takes place on the federal, state, and local level. Indiana state law prohibits cruelty, abandonment, and neglect of animals. Acts of torture and physical abuse of an animal are a crime in Indiana. IC 35-46-3-12. Neglect or abandonment of an animal is a crime in Indiana. IC 35-46-3-7. A court may permanently confiscate animals that are abused or neglected. IC 35-46-3-6.

Regulation of the treatment of animals in
Indiana is not limited to state laws, counties may regulate animals. Animal shelters and animal control agencies are local institutions usually overseen by city or county government or a nonprofit organization.

The Board of Animal Health has limited jurisdiction in animal abuse and neglect matters and will only get involved after written request from law enforcement officials or after a court order has been issued.

To report a case of animal neglect or abuse: Contact the local animal control agency for the jurisdiction, if there is one (not all cities/counties have official animal control). In the absence of an animal control agency, contact the local sheriff's department or police agency to report. These agencies must submit an official request for the assistance of the Board of Animal Health.

For more information on procedures in abuse and neglect matters see IC 35-46-3-6.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.