How do I obtain a School Bus Driver Certification?

Published 03/21/2007 09:44 AM   |    Updated 11/28/2007 07:49 AM

How do I obtain a School Bus Driver Certification?

Contact the Indiana Department of Education, Division of School Traffic Safety and Emergency Planning  or call (317) 232-0890, (800) 527-4930.


As of October 1, 2005, all drivers operating a school bus must have the school bus "S" endorsement on their license.


School Bus means a Commercial Motor Vehicle used to transport pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events with sixteen or more passengers including the driver. Questions: Indiana Deparment of Revenue, Motor Carrier Div.,  317-615-7200.


To obtain the school bus "S" endorsement all applicants must successfully complete all applicable testing requirements including the written knowledge for passenger and school bus, obtain a CDL learner’s permit with an "S" endorsement, and skills test in a representative vehicle (school bus) to obtain the school bus "S" endorsement.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.