How do I report an accident or fatality to IOSHA?

Published 12/18/2007 09:34 AM   |    Updated 12/18/2007 09:34 AM

How do I report an accident or fatality to IOSHA?

If during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday), call 317-232-2693.  Identify the call as a fatality/catastrophe report.  You will be transferred to an IOSHA official who will request the following information:


  • The establishment name.
  • The location of the incident.
  • The time of the incident.
  • The number of fatalities or hospitalized employees.
  • The names of any injured employees.
  • The name of the employer’s contact person, and his/her telephone number
  • A brief description of the incident.


If not during normal business hours or on a holiday, please call the federal OSHA Hotline at 800-321-OSHA (800-321-6742) and speak with the duty officer.


A catastrophe is an incident that results in three or more employees being hospitalized overnight.


Reporting the incident by fax or email is prohibited.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.