What rights do I have as a grandparent (including visitation)?

Published 11/28/2007 02:32 PM   |    Updated 05/17/2013 02:59 PM

What rights do I have as a grandparent (including visitation)?

In Indiana, according to IC 31-17-5, “a child’s grandparent may seek visitation rights if the marriage of the child’s parents has been dissolved in Indiana”. Upon the filing of a petition, the court may grant visitation rights if the court determines that visitation rights are in the best interests of the child. In determining the best interests of the child, the court may consider whether a grandparent has had or has attempted to have meaningful contact with the child. It is recommended that a grandparent consult with an attorney in this regard. Additional information regarding the grandparent’s visitation rights statute can be reviewed in IC 31-17-5-1 through 10 www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title31/ar17/ch5.html.


Grandparents can also play very important roles as a relative caregiver (foster parent or adoptive parent). In some situations, grandparents could be involved in the DCS Child and Family Team Meeting process, aiding their children who are the primary caregivers.

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.