Where can I get a copy of case records?

Published 11/28/2007 02:11 PM   |    Updated 01/31/2011 04:13 PM

Where can I get a copy of case records?

Reports/records are only available to certain individuals due to confidentiality laws. IC 31-33-18-2 (http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title31/ar33/ch18.html) lays out the exact details who may have access, here are some of those individuals:


(7) An individual named in the report or record who is alleged to be abused or neglected or, if the individual named in the report is a child or is otherwise incompetent, the individual’s guardian ad litem or the individual’s court appointed special advocate, or both.

(8) Each parent, guardian, custodian, or other person responsible for the welfare of a child named in a report or record and an attorney of the person described under this subdivision, with protection for the identity of reporters and other appropriate individuals.

(14) A person about whom a report has been made, with protection for the identity of:

   (A) any person reporting known or suspected child abuse or neglect; and

   (B) any other person if the person or agency making the information available finds that disclosure of the information would be likely to endanger the life or safety of the other person.


For information about Child Welfare and Child Protection Services, contact the local Department of Child Services office in the county in which you live. http://www.in.gov/dcs/2398.htm


Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.