What do I need to do to if I am interested in starting/opening a convenience store/mini mart?

Published 08/09/2007 09:15 AM   |    Updated 04/22/2009 12:34 PM

What do I need to do to if I am interested in starting/opening a convenience store/mini mart?

If you are a sole proprietorship or general partnership without employees - review checklist (below) for the state requirements and check with your local (city / county) level of government for local permitting / licensing requirements.

If you are establishing a corporation or limited liability structured business you will also have to establish yourself as an employer. If you will call the Indiana State Information Center at 800-457-8283 or email by updating this request with your name and complete address to send out an employer packet. You will also be able to apply for corporation or limited liability structure through the Secretary of State at 317-232-6576 or web address:http://www.in.gov/sos/business/corporations.html

All businesses are required to register the name of the business (if does not include owner's last name) at the County Recorder's office where the business is based out of. Web address: http://www.in.gov/serv/sic_info click on county recorder and then click on the county you need.

Convenience Store / Grocery Store Check List:

-To sell anything tangible retail, Retail Merchants Certificate (BT-1 application)- 317- 233-4015 or web address http://www.in.gov/dor/3744.htm

- For Franchise Registration, 317-232-6888 (Sec., SOS) or web address http://www.in.gov/sos/securities/Franchise/index.html

-To sell any type of food, vending machines; Contact Local Health Depart (http://www.in.gov/serv/sic_info/) RSB 45, REV http://www.in.gov/dor/reference/bulletins/sales/pdf/sib45.pdf

-To sell beer, liquor, wine, 317-232-2430 (ATC) or web address http://www.in.gov/atc/2458.htm

-To accept food stamps, 877- 823-4369 (USDA) or web address http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/retailers/retailer_app/pdfs/Eng-combined.pdf

-To sell money orders, 232-3955 or 800-382-4880, DFI or web address http://www.in.gov/dfi/applications/uccc/48009.pdf

-To sell lottery tickets, 800-955-6886 (menu #3) or web address http://www.in.gov/hoosierlottery/main/retailer_corner/potential.asp

-To sell cigarette distributor lic, or tobacco distributor lic, (317) 615-2625 (REV) or web address http://www.in.gov/atc/2474.htm

-To sell gasoline, 356-7078 (WGHTM) or web address http://www.in.gov/dor/3985.htm

-Fireworks, 800-423-0765 (DHS) or web address http://www.in.gov/dor/3989.htm

-To sell eggs, 765-494-8510, Egg Board (Lafayette, IN) or web address http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/ISEB/

-Hunting, Fishing License, 317-232-4200 DNR or web address http://www.in.gov/ai/appfiles/dnr-license/index.html

Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.