What type of approval do CFOs require?

Published 07/12/2016 04:39 PM   |    Updated 07/12/2016 04:39 PM
What type of approval do CFOs require?

As of July 1, 2012, the Confined Feeding Program has two types of approvals.

  1. CFOs or CAFO-sized CFOs that do not discharge manure or pollutant-bearing water need a CFO Approval under 327 IAC 19. A CFO Approval will have slightly different requirements for a CFO versus a CAFO based on the rule requirements that apply specifically to CAFOs.
  2. CFOs and CAFO-sized CFOs that discharge manure or pollutant-bearing water to waters of the state must have a NPDES CAFO Individual Permit under 327 IAC 15-16. The CAFO rule incorporates by reference the federal NPDES CAFO regulations.

CFOs in Indiana must have either a CFO Approval or a NPDES CAFO Individual Permit, but not both. A CFO or CAFO that does not discharge may elect to seek approval under a NPDES CAFO Individual Permit.

More information is available on the IDEM Animal Farms website. You may also contact the IDEM CFO Permits and Compliance Staff for your region if you have further questions.
Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.