What is Subsidence Insurance? And do I need it?

Published 06/24/2009 07:38 AM   |    Updated 06/24/2009 07:38 AM
What is Subsidence Insurance? And do I need it?
"Subsidence" is the collapse of surface area as a result of an underground void. In the coal region of southwestern Indiana this remains an issue as a result of underground mining during the past 130 years. Regular homeowners insurance typically does not cover this type of damage. In 1986, the Indiana Mine Subsidence Insurance Fund was established for this purpose. If you live in one of the following counties as a property owner, you are eligible for this insurance: Clay, Crawford, Daviess, Dubois, Fountain, Gibson, Greene, Knox, Lawrence, Martin. Monroe, Montgomery, Orange, Owen, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Sullivan Spencer, Vanderburgh, Vermillion, Vigo, Warren and Warrick. Coverage is designed only for abandoned underground coal mines prior to inception of the Surface Mining Act of 1977. You may add subsidence insurance to your property owners or homeowner's policy when it is purchased or renewed. For more information contact your insurance agent or the IDOI: Mine Subsidence (1-800-332-IMSI.)
Was this answer helpful?
Your rating has been submitted, please tell us how we can make this answer more useful.